Subject: SuperJANET (was: Pictures and HTML)
From: Kevin Hoadley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1992 15:50:25 +0000 (GMT)

Dave Raggett wrote:
>By the way, you may be interested to know that in Britain, universities are
>being connected this spring to a new fiber optic network intended to allow
>academics to read electronic journals on-line with video clips, 3-D
>animations
>and simulations. It will be possible for distant researchers to work on the
>same data or paper simultaneously and see each other's changes.

Dave is referring to SuperJANET, the planned upgrade to the existing JANET
network. This was intended to be a high speed network for multi-service use,
not just a data network but also a multimedia network for applications such
as video conferencing, distance learning and medical imaging.

As a result of the tendering process to pick the supplier for the 
underlying fibre infrastructure these goals have had to be altered slightly.
What we are actually getting is a very nice data network (34 Mb/s) plus
a fairly small number of sites with dedicated bandwidth for the multimedia
services.

Anyone interested in more details please contact me, as I'm secretary of
the group building the data network.

Kevin Hoadley, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, [email-masked]